Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The farm

I don't have a green thumb. Could be because my dad is a landscaper and wouldn't let us touch, much less try to plant, anything in our yard growing up. Plus apartment living, even in a residential neighbor, makes gardening more difficult. So in an effort to eat healthier this summer, we bought a share in a farm. This is "our" farm:

Isn't it pretty? We sure do like it... especially because every other Tuesday we stop and pick up our "share". And each week it's a complete surprise. This is the hard part. We have NO input on what gets planted and now that we've spent the money I don't want food to go to waste in my fridge. This means that every other Tuesday I have to come up with meals that work with the veggies we've gotten. For the next few weeks it's gonna be KALE. So here's my request for any recipe you might have (and LIKE) that calls for kale. Please! Pretty please help me put the 2 lbs of kale in my fridge to good use.

6 comments:

Sarah Kathryn said...

Mom makes it with bacon and sometimes eggs. She really likes it with just bacon though. She gets it sometimes from a lady in her ward. I will make sure to ask her to look at the blog today and gives you more ideas.

Mimi said...

I will heat up some olive oil and add real bacon bits then drop in the cut kale. I usually cut it in about 1 inch bits. I rinse it before I cut it. The bit of water on the kale helps steam it a bit. I cook it fast and stir a lot. After it is cooked I will eat what I can and put the rest in the refrigerator. I will use the leftovers in omelets! Yummy with cheese added too. If I feel like going a little less healthy I cook up bacon that I cut into about 1/2 inch strips and drop the rinsed and cut kale into the cooked bacon and bacon fat. Even yummier but no olive oil to counter act the bacon but so good! Amount of bacon and if you add salt or pepper do it to taste. My favorite is the rainbow kale but it is all good!

Congratulations on the FARM!!!

CORYNN AND JER said...

What a cool idea. (The farm share thing.) Was it expensive? No kale recipes here, though. Sorry!

Unknown said...

This version of Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana is good: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Restaurant-Style-Zuppa-Toscana/Detail.aspx You can use milk instead of the cream to lighten it up. You can also omit the bacon. There's plenty of flavor from the sausage (and fat too).
Never tried this one but it has good reviews, Kale and Banana Smoothie: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Kale-and-Banana-Smoothie/Detail.aspx I'm sure you can use regular milk in place of the soy milk if you'd prefer. Two more options Bean Soup with Kale: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bean-Soup-With-Kale/Detail.aspx and Pork Tenderloin with Steamed Kale: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pork-Tenderloin-with-Steamed-Kale/Detail.aspx Hope it all gets eaten!

Emily said...

Check out the blog katheats.com
She makes kale a few different ways!

Amy said...

That is so great about the farm share! What a great idea! I'm sorry I don't have a single recipe that calls for Kale, though. I've never cooked with it. Good luck!