Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Adventures in Shopping

We are taking an unexpected trip to Pennsylvania for the next couple days, which necessitated a run to Stuff-mart. I was already planning on meeting a friend for a quick lunch, so I left a little earlier than planned. I took Little Man with me, armed with positive reinforcement for good behavior. Despite being really tired, he was great at the store. He quietly ate his yogurt in the cart while I did my shopping. He picked out a bulldozer as a prize. He even made it most of the way to the checkout before trying to pull it out of the package. Then we headed to Panera for my favorite salad with Rachel. Again, Little Man did a great job, finishing off a fruit cup, a bag of chips and most of the blueberries from my salad. Unfortunately we were in desperate need of swim diapers, so we had to make one last stop. Enter the first in store temper tantrum. We made it all the way to the checkout, where we encountered the candy, a big fat "no" to the Lightening McQueen bubble bath that had snuck it's way into the cart, the s-l-o-w-e-s-t cashier on the planet changing the register tape and the irritated redneck in line behind us. I'm happy to say that we all made it out alive and without yelling. (It was seriously a banner day!) My reward? I got to have the following conversation in the car on the way home:

LM: Mommy, I cyean my Yight-ning shoes for you. I cyean them with my yips.
Me: What?
LM: I cyean Yight-ning shoes with my mouth. With my tongue.
ME: Gross! No! Don't lick your Lightning shoes. (watching him lick the soles of the shoes in the rearview mirror) Please don't put them in your mouth. Stop licking your shoes.
LM: (as he stopped to lick his shoes between each sentence) I yick it. I cyean my Yight-ning shoes for you. I yove you. I cyean for you Mommy. It's spesh-il. Velly Velly spesh-il for you.

Did I mention that he peed on his shoes last night?

3 comments:

Amy said...

Classic! I laughed out loud. Great story, Train. Who doesn't want to tell their moms they love them by washing their shoes w/ their tongue? You are a blessed mother. :)

Sarah Kathryn said...

Mike told me to"shhhhhh" while I finished reading this one. I can't wait to see you all!

Unknown said...

That's too funny! Gross but cute all in one!