Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"It's about how you live."

Today is my last day working for Calvert Hospice. Starting tomorrow I will once again be a full-time mom. So many people have asked me how I feel about this change... I don't know that there's a simple answer to this. What I'm feeling right now seems to change depending on who I'm with.

I do know that I'm ready to be done and give my boys my full attention. I know that with all the changes and chaos the last few months, they need that time and attention. I know that sometimes the thought of being with them ALL. THE. TIME. makes me want to beg my boss for my job back. (Of course this is usually in the midst of a full fledged temper tantrum.) I know that there are parts of my job I will miss. Really miss a lot. My amazing co-workers, my fabulous boss, the wonderful volunteers and the work that is done to help people at a difficult stage in their lives. Calvert Hospice has been a part of our lives for almost 5 years, when I first started working here. Since then Wil and I have both worked for hospice in both paid and volunteer positions. They have watched my boys grow up and have been a support to us when we needed it, both personally and professionally.

I know that death and dying are natural parts of life. I'm grateful for the amazing Hospice workers out there who help so many people and their families to manage pain, deal with grief and make this part of our lives just a little bit easier. I'm glad to have been a part of an amazing organization, to see where your donations go, how they touch peoples' lives. It has changed me.

If you are in a position to do so, please check out www.calverthospice.org and make a donation. If not, find your local hospice... attend an event, see what volunteer opportunities are out there - they can use your help in so many ways.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Beautifully stated.

Jen said...

It's such a hard decision. Thanks for sharing.