Monday, January 25, 2010

Recent discoveries...


I was helping my mom shop for Zee for Christmas, when I found a link on her blog to Darlybird. (I think she may have been led there by cjane.) I fell in love with the earrings! The great colors, the vintage feel, feminine without being over the top and a great price. I don't feel like I'm being irresponsible or too frivolous when I shop there. Zee found red "Nie Nie" earrings in her stocking. I bought the white ones with a coupon that found it's way to my inbox. And there might just be a pair on their way to my mom for her birthday.

For Little Man's 4th birthday, we had a RED party. I did my best to find everything I could that was red... paper banners made with red scrapbook paper, tissue paper balls, red vines, cherry candy sticks. Of course, we were still on a budget so luckily all those things were really inexpensive to make. So when I was searching Darlybird for those earrings and found these cupcake papers, I couldn't resist. I did 2 dozen cupcakes for his party and still have enough left to make a couple more batches. They are a little smaller than the cupcake liners I usually get, but it made them perfect for the kids.



I've seen these sudzing bars in the store and have always figured they were a waste of money. Then a friend bought a pack for the boys for Christmas. I LOVE THEM!!! Seriously. Love. Them.

The soap is inside an odd fabric cover. When you use it the fabric acts like a washcloth and you get all kinds of lather (which the boys love). It also keeps the soap from getting slippery so little hands (or mommies) can hold it easier. But the best part by far is they claim that it lasts "twice as long as regular soap". In our house it proved that and then some. My boys are notorious for dropping a bar of soap in the bath tub for it to become slimy and gross and melting away into nothing. I don't like having to fish it out of the tub or having to use a bar of soap that's all slimy. Plus they like using them so they will actually wash themselves (of course this means I have to have two on hand at all times). The first two we opened lasted about a month, which for us is great. The boys love baths and will take one at every opportunity. I've even started using them since even though the boys have their own bathroom, somehow they keep ending up in mine. It's a definite two thumbs up.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm in love with those earrings, and it's so nice that they are actually affordable! I second your feelings about fishing for the slimy soap. Blech!

CORYNN AND JER said...

I bought that soap on a whim awhile ago and have used it for Clay ever since. He loves to scrub himself and Wes too and he calls it his 'special soap'.

laurenthequeen said...

Corynn -
Which colors have you tried? We've only used the blue, but I had to buy the green at the store and it doesn't tell me what flavor it is.

CORYNN AND JER said...

I didn't know they came in different colors - I've only used the green. I don't have the box anymore, but I think it's coconut-lime.

Trish and Matt said...

As for the soap ... if you get the Sunday paper, there are often coupons for $1 off any J&J item. At our Wal-mart, the bars sell for .99 so I get them for free! You can often find the coupons online as well. I haven't bought them in a while because I have a backlog of about 20 bars. They are so great!