Monday, August 24, 2009

An uninvited guest

This is mantis. He's creepy. He's also decided to take up permanent residence on the outlet box just outside of our front door. The boys are completely enthralled with Mantis and stop as they go in and out to examine him. Little Man is very careful to not get too close - he's curious but not so brave. Bug, on the other hand, is not so cautious. As we came home from our errands today, Mantis was enjoying lunch (a green cricket). Little Man stops to look and Bug decides he wants to touch (!) the mantis. I've got my hands full and have no idea what a mantis will do to a baby when his lunch is interrupted, so my gut reactions is, "No! Bug, NO! Don't Touch". Bug just looks at me and goes for the mantis again. Now Little Man is FREAKING OUT, crying and upset "Don't touch it! NO!". I'm trying to get them all in the door without dropping a peck of apples, a quart of peaches and all the library books. Thank goodness Zee heard us and came to my rescue... but come to think of it I'm sure the neighbors probably heard us too. I think Wil might need to relocate Mr. Mantis to a nice new home away from our front door.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

awesome pic! I am sure Bug would have been safe enough but I do feel your fear!

Glad the boys had a great science experience. We once allowed a black widow spider to live over a window we never opened for the observations day by day. But when she laid her egg sack Kerry gallantly destroyed all. No one needs that many poisonous insects so close to the house!