Thursday, August 6, 2009

Movin' On Up

October 2004: Maryland to Texas. The day after we were married, Wil and I packed everything we could into the Corolla and drove back to Texas.

SuperBowl Sunday 2005: Texas to Maryland. Wil graduated earlier than planned and I hadn't been able to find a job in San Angelo, which prompted us to move back East and into my parents house. In retrospect, I could have stayed back here for 4 months and saved a ton of money. BUT I think in a lot of ways, that 4 months together in our own place solidified our relationship in ways that we couldn't have anticipated.

February/March 2007: The BIG Apartment. My parents started renovations to our house. There were 5 adults and a baby sharing one small bathroom. A friend in our ward offered us a temporary place to stay while the renovations were "finished".

May 2007: The Ghetto Apartment. Once it became painfully obvious that the renovations were far from being finished, we decided to find a small place to rent. We found a basement apartment with industrial flooring and a really tiny bathroom. Most of our stuff stayed in storage, but it was nice to have our own space.

November 2007: Back with the 'Rents. Six months pregnant, no longer able to fit in the shower at the ghetto apartment, and with the assurance that the apartment at my parents was only "weeks" away from being done, we decided to move back into my parents' house. Our bed was in the living room and there were again 5 adults sharing a bathroom.

February 2008: The "penthouse" apartment. During the renovations to their house, my parents added a two bedroom apartment above their garage. We moved in two weeks before Bug was born. It's beautiful - with hard wood floors, granite tile counter tops and a bathroom that felt like my very own day spa (especially being HUGE and having the super tiny ghetto bathroom so fresh in my memory).

August 2009: A place of our very own. We are no longer renting. If something goes wrong it's our problem to fix. We've painted and personalized, picked up a few less expensive things at Ikea. We have plans and ideas for things we want to do. We're also moving 5 people this time. Most of our moves up to this point have been local, with the bulk of our stuff staying in storage. We've grown our little family and with that comes STUFF. Holy cow... the stuff. It's amazing and overwhelming all at once. I can't wait to have a little time (am I really that delusional?) to unpack and get rid of some of the junk that has accumulated. Until then, I might just lay on the CARPETED floor of my very own house and stare at the boxes and pretty walls.

(ps. there are a few pictures of painted walls on Zee's blog. You can see them here. Also, adorable pics of the boys can be found here too.)

No comments: