Sunday, April 19, 2009

Thunder over Louisville - Day 2

We started day 2 of our vacation with an awesome breakfast! Berry went all out and made stuffed pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage and blueberries. We all loved it and Bug finally ate something other than french fries. Most of the day was pretty low key. We let the kids play in the yard, the guys let Berry and I make a trip to Old Navy/Target without the kids and then took them to the playground while we cleaned up and started dinner. Throughout the day we could see and hear the planes overhead. It was nice to be close enough to get a glimpse and hear the planes without all the crowds.
"I don't want to say cheese!"

Playing the camera game

Around 8 we got ready to head to the fireworks. Now, I've done the Mall on the 4th... I know crowds and fireworks shows. I also know that Little Man doesn't like loud noises and watched last year's fireworks with his hands over his head. This was unlike anything I've ever experienced... both good and bad.

The bad... it's been a really long time since I've dealt with so many ignorant people. We walked for an hour to get to the water front, stood for a half an hour surrounded by far too many people who couldn't seem to hold their liquor and then had the hour walk home.

The good... an amazing fireworks show. DC has nothing on this. WOW.

(pic found online)

This is how Bug watched the fireworks, after mooching french fries from a complete stranger standing behind us.

This is how Little Man watched them... at least when he wasn't being held by Wil or I. The poor kid, he was so scared and did such a good job at being brave. He hid his head in my shoulder for the bulk of the show. He loved the bright lights, but hated the noise. And it was loud. Really loud. Wil convinced him to sit back in the stroller, where he covered his head with his Bob blankie and his hood... until the finale. Then he wanted back out. There were some huge explosions and then a lull. I was so glad I picked him back up cause the last few minutes were HUGE. He was clinging as tight as he could, with his head wrapped in his blankie hidden in my neck. I felt horrible as I could feel him getting increasingly anxious at the noise. I was so ready for it to be done, so my Little Man could calm down and relax, to the point that I was ready to walk away. And it was done. We survived. I put Little Man back in the stroller. He pulled the blankie off his head, looked at me and said....

"Totally cool. That was totally cool!"

1 comment:

Mimi said...

You just have to love them!!!