Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Naptime Wars: A new development

The naptime wars have calmed down considerably this summer. I started enforcing quiet time instead and Wil was home to help fight the battle. But in the last couple weeks the tables have turned... I HATE it when Little Man takes a nap now. He has gotten adjusted to having his own play time and will play by himself in his room for a couple hours without complaint. Especially if he thinks he's supposed to be sleeping and is sneaking out of bed. The best part about this is the early bedtime. The kid wakes up by 6:30am no matter what time he goes to bed, so we've moved his bedtime to between 7 and 7:30pm. (cue angels singing!) It's wonderful. He's much happier and I still have some time in the evening to relax (or get something done). The problem comes when he has gone 3 or 4 days without a nap and is exhausted. I'll tell him it's playtime and he'll get in bed on his own and sleep for 2 or 3 hours. The peace in the afternoon is great, but I pay for it dearly in the evening. Last night he was up until 10pm... when I took Bug into bed he had been standing behind the door in the dark. I'm ready for him to settle into one or the other. The transition is too much for this tired mommy.

2 comments:

Amy said...

We found this to be a problem w/ Yaks as well. Boo can nap for several hours, but when it's bedtime she will quietly read in her crib until she falls asleep. Yaks, however plays "games" with us until we're ready to lock him in or pull our hair out! My own child still needs a nap, but I've found that waking him up after 1 1/2 hours is perfect. He's tired at 8:30 and ready to go down, but isn't overly tired. Maybe try shortening the "playtime/naps"?

Heidi Totten said...

Ohhhh, rough! Huck is generally still good at naps (I know! At Five!) but he definitely needs them because he is up at 6am no matter what time he goes to bed. Some days he will just hang out in his room and read or sing, but there are some days that he will crash for hours. But I know how desperately you need the naptime!