Friday, September 5, 2008

Where, oh where?

In the year after Little Man was born, quite a few of my friends had babies. All, except ONE, had girls. Hooray for Yaks! Unfortunately, Yaks lives in Utah. There is one other boy in Little Man's primary class. One other boy in Music Makers and he's 2 years older than Little Man. No other boys at Joy School. A friend of mine blogged about her daughter's 2 year old pre-school class - 10 girls and 1 boy. Sometimes I feel bad that he doesn't have anyone to play trains or cars with, but then I'm happy that he enjoys playing with dolls or his cousin's pretend kitchen.

Mostly I feel for the girls. Right now they don't know the difference, but in 15-20 years they will. Who will they date? Is there a community somewhere full of 2 year old little boys?

For now, it makes me feel even stronger about teaching my boys how girls deserve to be treated.

3 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

Huck is in the same boat. He literally has one extended cousin six months younger that is a boy. Other than that there is at least a 3 year difference on either side. He's surrounded by princess loving girls. Now, in my dad's family he's one of four boys within a 20 month period, but he isn't really close to them.

Amy said...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when you were posting, cause we are in the same boat. There's only one other boy in Yaks' 2-yr-old nursery class, and he and Yaks don't really um...click. Anyway, the rest of the class is full of girls - 8 or nine of them! Must have been something in the water that year!?

I keep looking on the bright side - perhaps some of their gentility will rub off! He plays princesses w/ Boo. Should that concern me?

Kristyn said...

You better take him outside in the morning and give him a good lesson on opening car doors, but hey - his odds are looking pretty good about now! He can come over anytime and play airplanes and trains with our little Bella - she's all tomboy!