Saturday, August 18, 2007

I wonder...

I'm sure most of you have read this post. It made me think about my 10 year reunion. First, that it already seems like a LONG time ago. And second, that it's odd to run into people in the grocery store that I went to high school with now that we live in back in the county. But most of all it made me think of Amy Belsito. We weren't friends in high school, but our groups of friends sometimes crossed... mostly at the lunch table. I personally don't have all that many memories of high school and Amy, but she did. At our reunion we ended up at the same table with some of our common friends. We were all catching up on where our lives had taken us and it was interesting to see that for Amy and I our lives had gone the exact opposite of where we had expected. I had the career and she was a stay at home mom. This is where Amy apologized to me... a long heartfelt, sincere apology. I didn't remember ever being offended by her (I still don't). Apparently she had mocked me at some point for not wanting a career and wanting to be a mom, now she was living the life I had imagined in high school and couldn't think of anything more important than raising her children. Her husband was even surprised by her confession and that she it had been on her mind for 10 years. At the time I was glad to have made a memorable impression on her, now I'm randomly curious to see her at the 20 year reunion and again see how things have changed.

3 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

It's interesting what others remember and you don't at these things!

Amy said...

that's a cool story!

Trish and Matt said...

It's so interesting you mention this. I'll never forget a good guy friend of mine PLEADING with me not to become a stay-at-home mom. He was adamant that I was "too smart" to stay home with my kids when I could offer so much to the work world and would totally be wasting my intelligence. (Apparently he hasn't spent much time around kids.)

He was at the reunion and we talked quite a bit, but I didn't have the nerve to bring this up, especially in front of his wife of two weeks. But I sure thought about it a lot!