Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I Heart Mod Podge

**Pictures have been added. Scroll down to see them.
***AHP this is for you!

Last week I taught a class for our "Midnight Madness" Enrichment activity (think Super Saturday, but on a Friday night) on Altered Paint Cans and Clipboards. I think I have now become addicted to Mod Podge. I want to "alter" everything I see or at least make presents for everyone I know. I think part of the addiction has also come from the super cool paper pack that Shea got me for my birthday and the lack of time to actually work on any new projects. But Mod Podge is so cool and super easy!

So Ames, this is what you do... Go to your local Stuff-mart or craft store and pick up some Matte Mod Podge (the yellow container), a sponge brush and some fun patterned scrapbook paper. Pick out something that needs new life (I've used wooden letters, a clipboard, empty clean paint cans, etc. You could also do terra cotta plant pots, picture frames, or an old recipe box.But go for wood or metal, plastic doesn't work so well.) Give it a quick sanding, just to make sure there's no debris or to rough up any old finishes. Make sure it's clean from the dust. Tear up your paper into random sized pieces. Take a piece of torn paper and put a light coat of Mod Podge on the back. Put it on and wipe out any bubbles. Do this with all of your paper until you have covered as much of the surface as you would like. Cover with a good coat of Mod Podge. Remember that even thought it goes on white, it will dry clear. Also, DO NOT worry if something isn't exactly as you want it. This is meant to be kinda "messy" looking.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I can. If this seems daunting, we can get the stuff and make something while I'm there. (Maybe initials for the kids' bedrooms?) I promise you'll be hooked!

My letter "B"

The Thankful Can, my clipboard and Wil's Valentine can.

Close up of the bottom of my clipboard.

Little Man "helping" and showing me his "cheese" face. (This actually gave me another idea. He found the "b" while I was trying to take the pictures and now he doens't want to put it down. It might be fun to make him his own alphabet to play with...big letters in fun kid prints. Oh the time I wish I had to work on these things!)

4 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

Oooooh! Very cute! My neighbor is going to do this with letters. I was going to just paint the Little Lady's letters, but I might try this instead if I can find stuff that will work with her bedding.

Amy said...

Boo doesn't have "bedding", but she has pale lavender walls with white cottage paneling. I feel like this is something I could manage. Perhaps I could do her name in letters and do it a variety of pastels with one being lavender? Thanks, Train! A picture would be cool. Where are you going on vacation?

Trish and Matt said...

You can do photo frames this way, too. Plain wooden ones are $1 at Michaels. I bought nine of them, covered each with different (but coordinating) paper and will hang them over Goose's dresser to look like a quilt.

Lindsey said...

i already know about all that crafty stuff...my favorite part is that picture of my monkey! he is so adorable. i love his cheesers.