Monday, September 24, 2007

Vacation: Day 1 - Road Trips and Waffle House

We finally made it out of Calvert County. We left after sacrament meeting on Sunday and started our drive to South Carolina. It was fabulously uneventful...no screaming or car sickness. Our only small drama was the dysfunctional "Cars" DVD. We ended up watching "Hardhat Harry" for far too long. It's a DVD called All About Trucks, with 2 half hour segments. One about tractor trailers and the other is Monster Trucks. Little Man loved it. I found it a bit mind-numbing. (I was one of those parents who swore they wouldn't let their kids watch TV in the car, until we started talking about an 8-hour road trip with the Little Man. We didn't let him watch movies for 8 hours straight, we did turn it off between movies. It made the trip a lot easier. I will be taking it out of the car when we get home though. I really don't want him to get used to the idea that getting in the car means you get to watch TV.)

I started this post thinking of my dad and road trips we have taken. At some point we insisted on the "Waffle House Rule", which is that there will only be one stop per day at a Waffle House. When we were trying to find someplace to stop for dinner Sunday night, there was the Waffle House sign. Since Little Man loves eggs, we figured it was a safe place to stop if we wanted him to actually eat something. Of course we had to chronicle his first trip to Waffle House for Grandpa.
It was a bit difficult to get his attention though, because we were next to a busy road and he was mesmerized by the cars and trucks driving by.

1 comment:

Lin said...

they both look thrilled. and Monkey looks pantsless.

and I think I insisted on the one waffle house stop per day rule when mom, dad and I drove to Florida to visit Grandma Elaine when I was 13. 18 hours o' fun in mom's Ford Tempo. The way home was even better...me stuck laying down in the back seat because the floor was packed with our luggage and mom's Ford Tempo breaking down...I believe she bought the green van when we got home. oh the memories.


i don't hate waffle house anymore...probably because it's a once every six months kind of thing and not a "no dad, we are not eating there AGAIN" kind of thing.