Friday, November 2, 2007

Now I get it

When I was working full time I used to read Carolyn Hax's column in the Washington Post every week. She's an advice columnist, who is very straight forward and direct. I didn't always agree with what she said, but liked her approach. One of the reoccurring themes in letters she received was from women who were struggling making friends. Most had found close friends in college, moved on for work or marriage, and were having a hard time finding those friendships again. At the time I didn't quite understand. I made some of my best friends after college, when I was living and working in Northern Virginia. Now those friends are spread across 3-4 states and I get it. I get where these women were coming from. Now, you may wonder where this is coming from....

I had so much fun last night! The food was perfect (it was almost painful driving home), but even better was the conversation and company. Spending time with friends who love you, no matter what stupid things you have said or done, was just what I needed. Three hours of non-stop conversation, catching up on things the kids have done, things we are working on - you name it. Wil and I have just hit the point where I've lived with him longer than Heidi and I were roommates. It's an odd realization. I'm grateful that he understands (or maybe just accepts) that sometimes I really need time with my girls.

I'm even more excited for our trip to Utah. A full week to soak it all in.

2 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

We had so much fun! I can't wait to see you tomorrow!!!

Trish and Matt said...

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. It's been so much harder for me to make friends post-marriage. The fact that we've moved three times hasn't helped. I'm the kinda person that ALWAYS eventually finds someone great, but it does take me a while. And it stinks waiting to make that special friendship. It normally takes me about 9-12 months to really feel at home somewhere. I'm so glad we'll be here for the next two years (at least!) since I'm already feeling at home.